In this castle, that formed a part of the border area of the county of Besalú, there are remains of the walls and the tower (11 th-12th c.). It is located on a hill top in front of the town, on the other side of the river. It dates from the year 1125 and had a defensive purpose between the rival counties of Empúries and Besalú. It was later renovated and finally abandoned. Today, it is in ruins and surrounded by forest, making it difficult to visit.